MARGATE or St John’s is situated on the north side of the Isle of Thanet, within a small bay in the breach of the cliff; where is a gate into the sea, from whence it has its name; it is 72 miles from London, and about 16 miles from Canterbury. In all matters of civil jurisdiction Margate is subject to the mayor of Dover, whose deputy resides here, and of which town and port it is a member. The principal streets is nearly a mile in length and built on an easy ascent by which means it is clean and dry particularly since the town has been new paved considerable sums have been expended in drains for that purpose.
Text: A Topographical and Statistical Description of the County of Kent etc (1810) by George Alexander Cooke
Print: A Guide to All the Watering and Sea Bathing Places etc 1803 by John Feltham
Map: Section from Kent by John Cary
Jane Austen References
Letter to Cassandra Austen dated 15th September 1796
Letter to Cassandra Austen dated 14th october 1813